11.22.2022

CUT AND SEW FABRIC KITS

 SEW SO EASY FAT QUARTER DOLLS

I've been wanting to create fat-quarter fabric doll kits for many, many years. When I first signed up at Spoonflower 'print on demand' fabrics, the first thing I did was concentrate on designing 'cut and sew' kits. I knew I wanted to make them easy to sew and of course, make them cute! How easy and fun for the beginning sewist or for someone who sews all the time and wants to give them as gifts!

The concept of printing our designs and patterns on fabric and having them printed when people ordered them and getting a commission on the sale was splendid to me! Like the first POD site I ever signed up for, Zazzle, this was a great opportunity and fun!

Blue Kitty

I made two cat fat-quarter cut-and-sew designs and this was the beginning of a learning process for sure! Since fabric varies in sizes, fat quarters can be different sizes. Then there is the variety of fabrics that people can choose, many of them! But Spoonflower is great at suggesting what fabrics to use for sewing projects and that is great!

Of course, many people started creating these plushie toys kits too! I saw that they were adding the instructions right on the fabric. Duh! I forgot to do that. I actually thought that people who sew would know exactly how to make these dolls just by experience in sewing. Mistake number one! These are for 'beginner' sewers, they need instructions! I did write instructions in the description area of the product at Spoonflower but that isn't like having them right in front of you at sewing time.

Rose Kitty

Now, I'm sure that moms or dads are helping the young ones who are learning how to sew with all the directions and what to do and how to do it, right? Maybe not!

Will they know to notch the curves? Will they know to cut at least a half inch away from the lines so there is a seam allowance of at least 5/8" or 1/2" or so? Will they know to leave the biggest space open for stuffing? Will they know to put right sides together? So many things to mention to make this a successful sewing project!

My Sweet Puppy

So, on this next fabric 'cut and sew' kit, I added the directions and was so hoping I covered all the bases, making sure it was easy to understand and read! 

CANNING JAR LID COVERS

I didn't think it would be too difficult to see how to cut and sew this kit, LOL! Use pinking shears to cut around and put the cloth on top of a canned jar of tomatoes and then put the ring on, to hold the fabric down. Cute huh? Handy too!

PINK OWL

One of the criteria of using this fabric site to sell your surface patterns and cut-and-sew kits is that you must purchase a 'test' swatch before the item goes into the public marketplace to sell. I was hoping that the company would change that because sometimes I don't have the money to purchase all of the designs that I want to sell in the marketplace. They are still seen in the marketplace, people can view and request that I purchase a text swatch so that the fabric can be made public for them to purchase. That is fine. 
MY COLLECTIONS

What is really handy and saves money is the option to purchase a collection, a total of 30 designs for a lower price so we can get more of our designs out there for sale! I am working on putting my cut-and-sew kits and 'wall hangings' which are very popular, in collections of 30 so I can buy them. Then they will be for sale in the marketplace!

CHERIE'S FABRIC SHOP

I started sewing when I was in junior high school, I loved it so much! I made culottes, the 'in' thing to wear to school. Really short skirty style shorts actually, and the pattern was so easy! So, I made a bunch of them! Then I made my prom dress, a fur wrap, went on to make a pattern for a chair and it turned out lovely! I made many sewing projects in my life. From blue jean 'butt packs' purses (I swear I started that trend in the seventies) to curtains, dresses and bags, I sewed it!

CHRISTMAS CUT-AND-SEW KITS

Stocking up on the holiday kits right now! You can give these as stocking stuffer gifts, they roll right up real easy! Your do-it-yourself seamstress will love them! Thank you for purchasing from a small woman owned business!

CHRISTMAS CUT-AND-SEW KITS

CHRISTMAS GNOME KIT

Just look at that face! He's so cute and would make a perfect gift for anyone who loves to sew or loves gnomes! Great for the beginner sewist!

πŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€Ά

Here's a free gift!



No comments: