10.15.2023

DIGITAL PRINTS

 ART YOU PRINT AT HOME

Do you? Would you? Would you really bother to purchase an art file, download it, unzip it and then print it out on the paper of your choice and then frame it and hang it? 
Three Digital Prints of Michigan Carved in Wood
(This was a shop that I used to have at Etsy)

Or, would you take the downloaded file to a brick and mortor print shop like Staples, and have them print it for you? Or even easier, upload the file to an online printing shop and have them print it and send it to you? What is the purpose of all of that if it is already being sold as a print by the first company?

Or, wouldn't you just simply purchase the art from the site offering it as printed material. Already printed on the paper of your choice, with or without a frame and mat of your choice?

I suppose this is like anything else you spontaneously purchase, you don't intend to buy anything but something 'strikes your fancy' and you simply must have it RIGHT NOW!


So, you buy a digital file, and art print or prints at 8 x 10 or 8 x 8 or 12 x 12 size, so your home printer can handle the sizes! You put the paper in and preview your image first (always do this!!!) to make sure it's even on all sides, centered, enough room for 1/4" framing ... then to find you don't have enough ink. 

Are you one who has fortunately purchased a professional printer with the capability of printing large format prints and have tons of archival inks ready! Lucky you! I'd say you probably sell printed art then, for the money of all of the above, I sure would to make it pay for itslf!

I've been pondering creating digital prints for my Etsy shop for some time now. For years, in fact! I used to sell my digital prints in 8 x 10 sizes and 8 x 8 sizes. I sold more stationery, letterheads than art prints. I do have one Halloween art print there, nobody even sees it!


Now Zazzle offers digital downloads for their posters and I find that if they offer them already printed, why would you spend more money on printing something yourself? Why not just buy it already beautifully printed on the best archival paper available and with borders so you have room for framing?

So, that is where I'm at, still wondering if I should offer digital prints in my Etsy shop or not. Oh yes, Etsy has this thing now that if you do offer digital prints, they offer various printing companies.

ORIGINAL ART OR PRINT

I'm not sure if I am for or against digital prints for myself, but I'm thinking that if I did see something that I just had to have on my wall or framed, and I wanted it right now, I'd bother with purchasing it and printing it at home.

I would always much rather have an original of anything, for the value side of it. Usually artists make prints of their work, but not all of them agree to digital file copies, for printing.

Today, with everyone being 'an artist' it is easy to see why folks want to sell originals and only have limited editions of the scanned prints of their artwork.

That is truly my heartfelt goal. I'd really love to get back into painting and then selling my originals as prints, on archival paper and only having limited editions. I would keep the originals though. For me! I love art. I love my art and I love making art! So glad I am able to.

Would you consider being an artist who sells your work as digital downloads? Would you only create the digital download files with your artwork that you consider not to be your best? What are your thoughts of selling digital download prints?

No comments: